Skip to main content
CHU Caen Normandy

Clemenceau Hospital

CHU Caen Normandy

Inaugurated in 1908 by Georges Clemenceau , the Clemenceau hospital is a traditional suburban structure put into service at the beginning of the 20th century to replace the Hôtel-Dieu, judged at that time to be “unsanitary and not very functional” by elected municipal officials. It is the original historic site of public hospitalization in Caen.

Became a regional hospital center in 1945, it is one of the main sites of the regional university hospital center of Caen.

From 1925 to 1973, pavilion 2 housed the cancer center of Caen (current Center François Baclesse) .

the grounds of the hospital is the Vaubenard manor from the 16th and 17th centuries , a former mattress factory, which is listed as a Historic Monument .

The hospital is largely decommissioned as part of the 2022-2026 Establishment Project . On its site, a new district must be created called “Coteaux de l'Abbaye” where housing, services and activities must coexist. A few buildings of the hospital have been preserved (the chapel and the surrounding buildings, the mansion, the entrance pavilions, the gardener's house) .

Level: Ground floor
Dr Anne-Cécile Blais-Lepelleux
Follow-up care and rehabilitation
Dr. Gilles Loggia